Hi and Happy Day. Hope this day brings joy and yummy healthy food. So most who know me, know that baking has never been my gift. I admire bakers so much, but the mastery of precise measurements and science has not been my style of cooking, ever. But I love to make treats for my loves and so I am making a concerted effort to improve this. So far I have had great success in making breads, banana chocolate chip muffins and cinnamon rolls. But cakes...oh cakes have always been the thorn in my side. On Saturday I attempted to make a double decker for my friends daughters birthday party. It was a complete and utter disaster that ended with me buying a cake to bring #sadface. But I was determined to try again on Sunday, which happened to be my husband and I's anniversary of 11 years of being in love. He suggested that we have a small spontaneous dinner party ( so unlike him- but made me happy because I love gatherings). So anyway, I decided I was going to try again, this time making a chocolate cake and I was going to make some chocolate covered strawberries to go with it. Then I had the idea of combing the two ideas and making a chocolate covered strawberry- chocolate cake. Well it was huge hit! The beauty of this decadence is that although it looks crazy sweet, it's actually quite subtle and the fresh fruit pairs perfectly with moist cake and melted vegan chocolate chips. This cake is organic and vegan- my favorite combination. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar- combine in bowl with coconut milk- let sit 5 minutes to acitvate
- 1 1/2 tablespoons egg replacer with 1/4 cup water- in separate bowl
- 2/3 cup coconut oil- melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dry-separate bowl- Sift togther- I use a colander to sift
- 2 cups organic all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 packages of vegan chocolate chips- double boiled to melt
- 2-3 cups fresh berries or fruit of choice- sliced-
- Heat oven to 350*
- Grease and flour a 9x13 pan
- Combine all wet ingredients, once coconut milk and Apple Cider Vinegar has activated.
- Sift in dry ingredients into wet.
- Use hand held mixer to mix until no lumps are present.
- Pour into baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool- at least 30minutes
- While cake is baking melt chocolate chips.
- Once cake cooled, carefully turn upside down on flat platter- I used a cutting board.
- Top with fruit. Using a spatula, evenly sprinkle chocolate sauce all over and coat sides as well.
- Place in fridge until chocolate hardens. Serve to loved ones and Fulljoy!