Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mickey Mouse Soup

Here is a story of how the passion of cooking and feeding people began for me....

I grew up in a Commune from age 3-13. It was a blessed upbringing, sharing, caring and loving one another.

I never lived with less than 20 people ranging in age infant- to 80. Needless to say, there was never a dull moment...Ever!!!

One of my greatest joys from this experience was meal time. We ate every breakfast and dinner with each other. Everyone would take turns sharing a "Cooking" night or breakfast. I spent hours in the kitchen watching cooks rotate every night, helping and learning.

When I was 7 I used to watch the Mickey Mouse club...wow, that really dates this 41 year old =).
One day they shared a cooking recipe called, "Mickey Mouse Soup". I watched it and suddenly thought to myself, I can make this!!! It was a simple vegetable soup. I went to my mother and father and immediately asked to be included in the cooking rotation at our household. I convinced them that I would not let them down and dinner would be a success. It took a while, but they soon agreed, and I had a cooking night. My soup was a hit!!!! A favorite actually, and for a few years after, my signature dish.

I share this story when people ask how my passion began...

Today I am sharing it because of Face Book, and a long lost childhood friend.

My status yesterday, shared that I was so blessed and thankful to have a job where I create recipes and feed people- I teach cooking classes and had over 35 people at last nights class...it was so much fun!

Today my childhood friend commented on that post...." You still making the Mickey Mouse Soup?" She was a buddy I met in 4th grade- taking us back 33 years, we recently just connected again...and, she remembered my Mickey Mouse Soup...it made my day- Thanks Crista Gonzalez- FB is so cool!

I love you family!!

mama

No comments:

Post a Comment